Saturday, September 7, 2013

Blog 5: Project Reflection and Working EQ

The Pentagon:

1. A positive outcome from what I have done so far for my senior project is the closer relationship I have made with my mentor, like how open he was speaking to me and helping me get many more people to talk to and experiences I wouldn't have even thought about being beneficial for my project (like going to choir rehearsals and recording studios). Also the things I have learned from my research, some things I knew before but others have enlightened me, such as how many damaging techniques there are and how easy it is to fall into them. 

2. My interview helped me realize how important the arts, singing specifically, are in a persons life and how uplifting it can be, the research also backed this up by saying how important choir and working in groups is for young children to build up confidence, the ability to open to different people, and to speak publicly comfortably.

3. My mentorship has really worked well for me in the senior project, I feel like I have a solid mentor who is capable of helping me out a lot with this whole project; he also understands it's school related, and because he is a principal, he is taking my questions and my need for help very seriously which I am so thankful for.

4. The research has worked but it's been one of the harder things for me, because finding credible sources and good information has been hard, but hopefully I will get better.

5. The potential questions I want to study is, Is singing important for a child's development and does it work into adulthood? 
For my mentorship I am going to attend choir and solo voice classes at Creative Planet School of the Arts and in the end if my mentor thinks I have learned enough he plans on letting me teach a class possibly.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a wonderful mentor. I'm so glad! That makes a project fun : ) Concerning the research, I bet there is a music educator journal. Ask your mentor, but also look at the Cal Poly library. You can get the title of a journal and some free articles here...http://musiced.nafme.org/resources/periodicals/. Also, look at the Journal of Research in Music Education. Also Music Education Research. International Journal of Music Education. Then this links other sources. Again, find these at the Cal Poly library, most likely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.tarleton.edu/Faculty/boucher/MajorResearchJounals.pdf

    Then, your question needs a bit of work. What do you think about, "How can a music educator best help the development of elementary school children?"

    ReplyDelete